School of Public Health

Funding Your Education

Understanding the challenges that funding your education presents, we work with you to make your program as affordable as possible. Our students are typically supported by a combination of research assistantships (RAs), teaching assistantships (TAs), as well as fellowships, student loans, and outside employment. To identify the best sources of financial support, we encourage you to review each funding source below.

Research assistantships (RAs) provide funding for a significant number of both new and continuing students. As is the case with funding in general, a higher percentage of PhD students will be supported through RA positions than Master’s students. Most students who secure RA positions find them through faculty within the Department of Epidemiology. However, some of our students have had success securing RA positions in other departments at the School of Public Health. For instance, the START Center, housed in the Department of Global Health, hires 3-5 new Epi students as RA's each year. Some students find positions across the University outside of the School of Public Health, and outside the UW at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Seattle Children's Hospital. We encourage you to explore those possibilities and are happy to help you make those connections if possible.   

How to find an RA position


Teaching Assistantships, particularly those associated with graduate level courses, are matched primarily to PhD students in their second year or beyond. The growing number of undergraduate courses being offered in the Department of Epidemiology have begun to expand TA opportunities for all our students. All open-hire opportunities for TA positions in the department are broadcast to students on a quarterly basis, and will also be posted at the "Find a TA Position" link below as they become available. Some students have had success finding TA positions in non-SPH departments such as Biology and Statistics. We encourage you to explore those possibilities and are happy to help you make those connections if possible.   

How to find a TA position

The Epidemiology Department houses several training grants that offer fellowship positions for PhD students and postdoctoral students. Additionally, the School of Public Health job listings include fellowship opportunities available across the university as well as opportunities outside the UW.

Search for a Fellowship 

There are many institutions in the Seattle area at which our students have had success finding health related employment. These opportunities can provide you with significant financial support for your education as well as important professional connections that can serve you well as you transition from graduate school to the professional world. Below is a listing of some institutions who have employed UW Department of Epidemiology Students in the past.

Group Health
Seattle Children’s Hospital
Seattle & King County Public Health Agencies

The UW Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS) will work with you once you officially enroll at the UW, helping you to identify and locate funding opportunities for graduate school-related expenses including tuition, research, conference, and research travel. You can visit GFIS during drop-in advising hours, schedule individual appointments, or request information by email.

Visit the GFIS Funding Resources Guide and blog to learn more.

Information on grants and loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA). The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form is used to determine how much and what type of aid you qualify for. The Financial Aid Office website outlines important deadlines for priority filing.