Find an RA Position

Research assistantships (RAs) provide funding for a significant number of both new and continuing students. As is the case with funding in general, a higher percentage of PhD students will be supported through RA positions than Master’s students. Most students who secure RA positions find them through faculty within the Department of Epidemiology. However, some of our students have had success securing RA positions in other departments at the School of Public Health. For instance, the START Center, housed in the Department of Global Health, hires 3-5 new Epi students as RA’s each year. Some students find positions across the University outside of the School of Public Health, and outside the UW at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Seattle Children’s Hospital. We encourage you to explore those possibilities and are happy to help you make those connections if possible.

Research assistantships (RAs) are appointed by individual faculty members with available funding and paid directly through the UW. Although many positions are matched to second year masters and doctoral students, all interested students are welcome to apply. You must be a full-time student to be eligible.

To find an RA position, start by talking with Epidemiology core faculty with research interests similar to your own. In addition to core faculty, some students have found RA positions with adjunct and affiliate faculty. You may consider reviewing the bio information and abstracts of articles on PubMed written by faculty members who interest you. The NIH Reporter tool can also be a helpful resource for identifying current research being done by faculty.

Current RA openings:

50% RA with Dr. Anjum Hajat
Autumn ’21–Spring ’22
20 hours per a week
Apply by Sep 24, 2021

This is an RA position for the entire academic year of 2021-2022 (fall, winter, and spring quarters). The RA will be responsible for conducting data analysis for a project examining the impacts of air pollution and social factors on dementia and other measures of cognition in the Ginkgo Evaluation of Memory Study. The RA will be conducting data analyses to address scientific questions, presenting scientific work at national conferences and writing scientific manuscripts. It is expected that the RA will write at least one first-author publication from this work (perhaps more) and will conduct analyses for additional manuscripts. Excellent data management and statistical skills are required. Please send a cover letter and CV to Anjum Hajat (, Joel Kaufman ( and Annette Fitzpatrick (

50% RA with Dr. Nicholas L. Smith
Autumn 21 – Summer 22
20 hours per a week
Open until filled

The main duty of this RA position is to write 1 or 2 scientific papers (as lead author) addressing the association of rare genome-wide genetic variation and the risk of venous thrombosis (VT). The work is part of a larger project that addresses structural variants and single nucleotide variants and their association with VT. The 4-year grant is beginning year 2 and there are several manuscripts that need to be written. Project is international collaboration with the International Network Against Venous Thrombosis (INVENT) and the NHLBI TOPMed program. Provide a cover letter and CV to Nicholas L. Smith (

50% RA with Dr. Steve Mooney
Autumn 21 (with possibility to extend through academic year)
20 hours per a week
Open until filled

Looking for a 50% FTE RA to help on a project using ‘big data’ approaches to explore contextual determinants of physical activity and obesity. The RA will be responsible for analyses that leverage the ‘Automatic Context Measurement Tool’ to compile hundreds of contextual measures and to use computational approaches that scale to large datasets to conduct hypothesis-free -WAS type analyses. These analyses should result in both substantive and methods papers, to be led by the RA as appropriate. The current position is for fall quarter with the possibility of extending through the academic year.

Other current, publicly-advertised funding opportunities from across the School of Public Health are listed on the SPH Student Funding and Opportunities webpage (UW NetID required).

Epidemiology faculty with appointments at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) and Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute (KPWA) are also able to hire RAs through the UW system, so you receive the same benefits as UW RAs. At the FHCRC site, you can enter your research area and contact investigators and lab directors with similar interests. For KPWA, contact Dr. Diana Buist, Director of Research and Strategic Partnerships at

Some students have success finding RA positions in other UW Labs and Research Centers.