Travel Resources

Travel Resources

The goal of this guide is to assist department travelers through the travel process while adhering to the travel policies set forth by UW and Epi. It is the traveler’s responsibility to fully understand the rules and regulations prior to making travel arrangements in order to be reimbursed. If personal travel is being used during business travel, the traveler is required to include a comparison itinerary reflecting business travel only.

For more information, please review UW Travel Policies and Guidelines. If you have questions, please contact or call Matt Anderson at 206-616-1767.

Prior to traveling, submit the Prior Approval Travel Request Form, which is now required on any out-of-state travel being charged on any UW budget, except on grants or contracts. 

For travel procedures on grants or contracts, see Post Award Fiscal Compliance Requirements


Travel can be booked however you deem fit, through a travel agency, directly with an airline, or an online agency of your choice. Effective June 7, 2012, Airfare no longer must be purchased through a contract travel agency or directly with the airline. However, a contract travel agency/internet provider is available for use as a convenience.

Benefits of State Contract Airfares

You can be reimbursed for the actual cost of your train ticket.

Car Rental or Mileage Reimbursement
Check UW’s travel website for details. Your name must appear as the primary driver on the Rental Car Agreement without exceptions.

Paying for Your Trip

Per Diem Advance
You may receive travel money before your trip. The amount of the per diem advance is based on federal meal and lodging rates. Contact or call Matt Anderson at 206-616-1767 for details. This option is only available to travelers who will be employed after the date they return from traveling.

Department Pays Before You Travel
Epi can pay your airfare, conference registration, and other expenses before your trip. Contact or call Matt Anderson at 206-616-1767 for details.

UW Travel Card
Department faculty are eligible for a personal UW Travel Card. See the UW travel website for more information.

Upon Your Return
We recommend that you submit reimbursement requests within two weeks following your return from travel status. This ensures that the information we need is fresh in your mind, that receipts and other documentation do not get misplaced, and that funding designated for this trip will not expire. After returning from your travel, submit the following for reimbursement of your expenses:

  • A completed Travel Reimbursement Request form
  • Airfare: include complete itinerary with origin and destination, departure and arrival times, and flight numbers
  • Lodging: include detailed hotel receipt, bill, or folio
  • Meals: Reimbursements are made based on meal per diem.
  • All receipts including payment information
  • Program agenda, such as a conference program book, if applicable
  • Include a specific address or place name for all other origins and destinations
  • Use Google Maps or other mapping service results for mileage reimbursement requests, if applicable
  • Mileage from residence is allowed when traveling to work destinations other than official duty station on a non-schedule work day or residence is the shortest drive. Round trip mileage reimbursement to/from duty station and to/from airport is allowable when a third party drives.
  • If applicable, include exact times personal time began and ended, and the location (e.g., 1/18 at 10 a.m. to 1/20 at 3 p.m. in Washington, D.C.).
  • International travel: attach currency conversions for all receipts using Oanda

Please mail the completed form, receipts and other documentation to Matt Anderson, Box 351619. You may also email the completed form, digital receipts, and documentation. 

If you need assistance with any aspect of your travel and/or reimbursement, please contact or call Matt Anderson at 206-616-1767.