School of Public Health

Find an RA Position

Research assistantships (RAs) are appointed by individual faculty members with available funding and paid directly through the UW. Although many positions are matched to second year masters and doctoral students, all interested students are welcome to apply. You must be a full-time student to be eligible.

To find an RA position, start by talking with Epidemiology core faculty with research interests similar to your own. In addition to core faculty, some students have found RA positions with adjunct and affiliate faculty. You may consider reviewing the bio information and abstracts of articles on PubMed written by faculty members who interest you. The NIH Reporter tool can also be a helpful resource for identifying current research being done by faculty. 

Current RA openings:

Other current, publicly-advertised funding opportunities from across the School of Public Health are listed on the SPH Student Funding and Opportunities webpage (UW NetID required).

Epidemiology faculty with appointments at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) and Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute (KPWA) are also able to hire RAs through the UW system, so you receive the same benefits as UW RAs. At the FHCRC site, you can enter your research area and contact investigators and lab directors with similar interests. For KPWA, contact Dr. Diana Buist, Director of Research and Strategic Partnerships at

Some students have success finding RA positions in other UW Labs and Research Centers.


Pay rates for RAs are determined by the Graduate School. 

RA positions that total 20 hours a week for a quarter (or two 10 hour a week positions combined) cover tuition at the Washington state resident level (excluding fees). Out of state tuition can be waived if necessary. 

Eligible RAs and TAs receive excellent health coverage – medical, dental, and vision care – through the Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP). Contact the program for questions about eligibility and enrollment.

If appointed, you are expected to abide by the Student Conduct Code and maintain good academic standing.

SPH pay rates for hourly Academic Student Employees are posted at


  1. Remain open-minded. All research is relevant, especially in your first year. You may change positions during your second year when you select a thesis or dissertation topic.
  2. Think of these contacts primarily as professional networking and developing working relationships rather than simply as a job search. Even if you don’t initially find an opportunity with a particular faculty member, creating and continuing a connection with that person can lead to future opportunities. 
  3. Customize your emails for each individual faculty member rather than mass emailing faculty members. Personalized emails convey your reasons for pursuing an opportunity with that particular person and articulates how they might help you achieve your goals.
  4. Attach your resume or CV and include a description of your research interests, experience, and skills.
  5. If a faculty member that you contact has no available funding, ask him/her to recommend other investigators.