A list of the materials needed for an application, along with descriptions, is below.
1. Unofficial transcripts from previous colleges and universities: Upload scanned copies directly into the application in pdf format. Please be sure they include a clear indication of the college/university from which they come. If at all possible, include the transcript legend page that explains the grading system for the school in your upload.
2. CV or Resume (upload in pdf format): Include detailed descriptions of your health-related positions and responsibilities. Provide all relevant education and experience including: undergraduate and graduate research, health-related volunteer work, publications, manuscripts and posters, scholarly presentations and awards, certifications, and computer skills.
UW MD POSTDOC FELLOWS: Must include the following information on the first page (if applicable): Residency, fellowship, doctoral & postdoctoral research titles, type, director, institution & dates.
3. Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages in length uploaded in pdf format): The Statement of Purpose provides faculty reviewers essential information about your background, research interests, possible career path, and your writing skills. It should convey your reasons for pursuing graduate study in epidemiology, your area/s of interest, faculty you would like to work with, and why you have selected the discipline and the university. Although you may not know what type of research or project you might pursue, spend some time researching the department and the faculty. It shows the Admissions Committee that our program can help you fulfill your aspirations.
4. Personal History Statement (brief, prompted responses uploaded in pdf format): The University of Washington Department of Epidemiology is committed to enhancing the intellectual and social enrichment of the University community and to preparing our students to become leaders, innovators, and responsible community, state, and global citizens.The Department actively seeks and welcomes students with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Your Personal History Statement should be a brief response to each of the following prompts (no more than 250 words for each).
1. Describe a time that you encountered a significant obstacle as a student. How did you handle it?
2. What would your mentor say that you do really well? What areas would your mentor identify as areas for improvement?
3a. Describe an experience you had in a leadership role: a) what did
you do, b) how did these experiences arise, and c) what did you learn
from them. Here, “leadership” can be in any aspect of your life (e.g.,
family, spiritual, scientific, political).
3b. What would be your unique contribution to the incoming epidemiology MPH cohort?
5. 3 Recommendations: Include exactly 3 letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic or related professional endeavors and your potential for achieving your goals. All of your recommenders should hold advanced degrees. When you name your recommenders within the UW Graduate School application system, they will be sent detailed instructions via email for submitting their letter online. When you contact your recommenders, encourage them to monitor their spam folder for letter submission instructions. UW MD Postdoc Fellows Applicants: Balancing a full-time course/study schedule with your responsibilities as a postdoc fellow or resident can be challenging. Knowing this, we require that you include references from both your fellowship director and research mentor (if known) that includes a statement indicating you will have the necessary release time from those responsibilities to attend all classes on a regular basis, and to study outside class.
6. English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must meet the Graduate School requirement for English proficiency. Please click the link to review all possibilities for fulfilling this requirement. The Department of Epidemiology accepts either TOEFL or IELTS test scores. In addition to submitting official score results, self-reporting scores directly in the online application is required. Official TOEFL IELTS scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the University of Washington. Use institution code 4854 for submission of TOEFL scores. Official IELTS scores must be sent directly by IELTS to the University of Washington. Applicants submitting applications for Fall 2021 admission may submit Duolingo scores in fulfillment of the English proficiency requirement. The minimum required score is 105. The UW Graduate School COVID-19 Admissions FAQ details info about submitting Duolingo scores.
7. Online application form along with application fee: To be completed directly in the online application.
The GRE has been permanently eliminated from admissions for all Department of Epidemiology (Epi) graduate programs. This applies for those applying for Fall 2021 and thereafter. Submission of GRE scores will not be an option for Epi applications.